Friday, January 20, 2017

LaRue's Birth Story

So it's taken me two months but I am finally writing LaRue's birth story. I wish so bad that I could dictate this to someone and they could write it for me, maybe I should vlog it? Well, here I go trying to put into words my experience with labor as I have a screaming child next to me. Yes she has been fed and no she does not have a dirty diaper. Sometimes your child just likes to cry because thats what babies do and sometimes when you have been holding said child all day you just need them to cry it out... sue me.
I'm already starting off this post with a bang. I swear I love my child and she is the best but nighttime is the hardest time for her. On that another time.
The best way I know how to put this together is through a timeline so thats how I'm going to do it.

To begin my brother in law had some wise words about labor classes and actual labor. "Don't take the classes and get buried by a diesel truck or take the classes and get buried by a Volkswagen. Anything helps but you're still breaking a lot of bones." Thanks Spence... it got us through.

November 18
12:30am- My contractions have been consistent (every 3-5 minutes and lasting 1 minutes) for the past hour and a half. So we go to the hospital and I get hooked up to the monitor and just hang out on the most uncomfortable bed and watch and wait for the contractions to come up. After a couple hours they decide I haven't progressed enough to keep me there. My contractions were still the same but I was only dilated to 1cm. So they give me a morphine shot to help ease the contractions and send us home.

That shot did NOT work in any way, shape or form. I felt every contraction that night as I am trying to sleep and Morgan slept next to me. Yay for him.

6:30ish am- I finally can't take it anymore and wake Morgan up to go back to the hospital. After an hour of being in that same bed and walking/swaying through contractions to try to dilate some more they admitted me.

8:30am- We finally get to a room with a comfortable bed (I get to sleep!!! Hallelujah!!!) I've progressed to 4 cm now and once I get settled and they hook up the IV they ask if I want an epidural, yes please. *Side story* We took a birthing class a few weeks prior and the instructor showed us a natural live birth from start to finish and once it was over ask how that video made us feel, thinking we would like to go natural, and I told her it definitely made me want to get an epidural. There was no way I would not take any meds to make me feel comfortable. The look on her face was hilarious. Morgan and I just laughed. More power to the people who go all natural.

11am- I get my epidural. Send Morgan to get himself some food. I HATE needles. Always have and probably always will. I was terrified of the epidural and feeling the needle and everything. Guess what? It was amazing. For some reason my contractions weren't as intense so I was able to stay still and everything went smoothly.

Sometime between then and pushing my mom and grandma came. The doctor came in and broke my water. I didn't get much sleep because my IV kept getting kinked so the machine for the medicine they were giving me kept beeping and any movement on my part would set off the alarm.

6:00pm- It was time to start pushing. I was dilated but she was still sitting high. I knew in the back of my mind that pushing could last 20 minutes or 4 hours so I knew I would see her tonight. I had my mother on one side and my husband on the other helping me hold my legs but i could have done that myself because guess what... my epidural wore off. I felt everything. It hurt and I'm pretty sure I cursed and yelled for them to just do a c-section. I think the most amusing part about all of this was where my grandma was sitting. Yup you guessed it she was right down by my feet behind my nurse. haha I kept telling her to look away because she was not liking it but she stayed. Anyway, two hours go by and still no baby but my nurse finally calls my doctor to come over. He takes forever it feels. I am very mad and asking where the h*** he is. Sorry mom but a human was coming out of me and I could feel it all.

8:20pm- My doctor finally gets here and takes his sweet time getting dressed and ready haha. I am pretty sure the nurse is pushing LaRue's head back in so she doesn't fall on the ground. Well two big pushes and she is out.

8:26pm- She was covered in green stuff which now I know was meconium. They place her on my chest and I start crying (of course) but I couldn't even see her because my tears felt like freakin' acid being poured into my eyes. They stung so bad.

After that the doctor told them to take the baby and get her cleaned up. I was confused because I had heard they were really big on getting that one hour of skin to skin with mom in but two seconds later I found out why. Apparently when the doctor is elbows deep into your uterus they don't want you holding a baby. So that hurt feeling your insides being scraped out of you. My placenta was really high and the cord wasn't centered so he couldn't just pull it out or else it would rip off and I would have to go into surgery to remove it.

It is so amazing to have LaRue here. She did have an infection that showed itself the next afternoon and needed to stay in the NICU for a week but other than that she is a happy and healthy baby.

If hospital pictures make you sick then stop scrolling now. These are not flattering but they are our real experience and I will cherish these forever.
























































Love, Morgan, Kaylee and LaRue


2 comments:

  1. You're so strong and she is beautiful! Congratulations! I'm glad you all are doing well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kaylee that was the short version of the this glorious labor of life. She is amazing and you guys did an amazing job.I send my hugs n high fives

    ReplyDelete